Friday, March 30, 2012

Double Standards?

Sorry people!  I'm alive!  I've been crazy busy lately with life and haven't had time to write!  I'm being naughty right now and writing while I work so forgive me if the writing seems a bit broken up.  I wanted to write about something that irks me, and I KNOW others feel the same way but don't necessarily say anything for fear of backlash towards them or offending someone.  However, I tend to state my opinion a lot and I'm always up for a good, friendly, informative, rational, intelligent debate.  I state my opinion when it's something that I feel strongly about and I know I would stand behind no matter what.  I state my opinion when I truly believe it is a rational opinion/argument.  I stated this opinion on my status on FB the other day and, not to my surprise, I had a lot of people backing me up.  Also not to my surprise, there were a few people that didn't agree.  Here it is:

Why is it ok that there are dating sites strictly for black people(BlackPeopleMeet.com, Blacksingles.com, etc), a tv station called Black Entertainment and articles going around about how black people have been killed by white people, but if there was a dating site for whites only, or a tv station called White Entertainment or articles about how a white person got mugged or killed and the main point of the article was that that offender was black there would be extreme backlash &/or law suits, etc? This doesn't make any sense to me....

That was my status that I posted.  It just seems like such a double standard to me.  This is exactly what black people  fought against white people doing for years!  They fought for equality.  This does not seem like equality to me.  And please, I want to make this clear, do NOT think I am racist in any way shape or form.  This opinion is regarding Equality, not races.  This post was brought on by recent articles I have seen being circulated on FB about 5 black people that have been killed (mind you, over the last about 40 YEARS) and their assailants were white and never charged with the crime.  The whole article focuses on the fact that it was black people that got killed by white people.  However, if it was switched around, this would be called racist and "stereotyping."  This post was also brought up because of ads I have seen on tv for those Black dating sights.  There are no White dating sights, and there never could be.  I just don't understand how people can think this is fair??

So there you have it.  That is my rant for the day...actually, I have a few more!  But we won't go there right now (there isn't enough time in the day!)  I hope this got you thinking.  I hope you understand where I'm coming from.  I also hope that this issue gets more attention than it has been sometime in the near future.  I just don't understand why this is not addressed more?  Is it just me?....

Until next time people!  Have a wonderful, wonderful weekend!
And don't forget to stand up for what you believe.  "I would rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not." -Kurt Kobain.  Love that quote.

xoxo,
Jess

No comments:

Post a Comment